It is essential to maintain and monitor the integrity of the data that is being entered in NAV. This is to ensure accuracy and reliability of the information that is available in the system.
The Change Log Setup in NAV enables you to do this and easily identify areas in the system which need control or process improvement. In this blog, I will show you how to setup, activate and review data change logs for auditing purposes.
Change Log Setup
There are three data activities which you can setup and review on the change logs – Insertion, Modification and Deletion.
First, you will need to select which tables should be setup with the change log entries.
1. Go to Departments -> Administration -> IT Administration -> General -> Change Log Setup
2. On the Edit – Change Log Setup page, click on the Tables icon as shown below
3. This will show you a list of NAV tables which you can select and set to record insert, modify and delete logs. You can filter the tables by ID or name.
Tip: If you do not know the name or ID of the table you would like to setup the change logs with, you can go to the page in NAV and use Help -> About This Page (or press Ctrl+Alt+F1). It will open a page similar to below which will show the Table ID and Name (e.g. Table ID = 18, Table Name = Customer).
4. On the drill down button for each change log category, you can choose All fields if you would like to record change logs of all fields on the table whilst Some Fields if you want change logs for only specific fields on the table.
Once you choose Some Fields, click on the AssistEdit button to show the available table fields. Select the tick box for each field.
On the sample below, Modification logs will be recorded for the Name, Contact and Credit Limit fields on the customer table.
5. Once you are all set up, go back to the Edit – Change Log Setup page and click on the Activate button as shown below. This will now record all change logs as per setup.
Change Log Entries
To review change log entries go to Administration -> IT Administration -> General -> Change Log Entries
The Change Log Entries page will show you the change records for the table fields that have been activated. You can use the following information for filtering purposes and be able to report from it:
• Date and Time – date and time the change log was made
• User ID – user who made the changes on the data
• Table ID / Table Caption – the affected table ID and Name of the change record
• Primary Key Field 1 Value – this is usually the table Entry No. (e.g., Customer/Vendor No., Item No., Purchase Order No., etc.)
• Field Caption – the data field of the table that was modified
• Type of Change – shows the type of change for each field (Insertion, Deletion, Modification)
• Old Value – shows you the old value of the field
• New Value – shows you the new value of the field
This blog was written by Hayeen Palencia, Customer Support Specialist at EBS.
If you have out-dated business software that’s limited in its reporting and analytical capabilities – then you should to talk to EBS about a powerful business management software solution – Microsoft Dynamics NAV. To find out more about our suite of Microsoft business management software solutions, please call Paul Woods at EBS for an obligation free discussion on 1300 303 973.
Microsoft Dynamics NAV is global enterprise resource planning (ERP) software that helps more than 100,000 companies worldwide manage their accounting and finances, supply chain, and operations. Start with what you need now, and easily adapt as your business needs change. In the Microsoft cloud or on your servers—the choice is yours.
Evolution Business Systems (EBS) is a Microsoft Gold ERP Partner and business management software specialist that equips its clients with software designed to achieve their business goals. EBS offers small to medium sized businesses a complete, fully featured, whole of business solution to meet their needs with Microsoft Dynamics NAV, O365, Power BI, Dynamics CRM and Microsoft Dynamics 365. It’s available for deployment on Microsoft’s own Cloud servers – Azure – and packaged at an affordable monthly subscription price. EBS works alongside its clients to understand their business and vision, and offer solutions to support these both now and into the future.
Subscribe here to get our free EBS monthly enewsletter to get valuable blog articles from EBS and the latest updates on the Microsoft Dynamics product suite.